Friday, April 3, 2009

The Meta

Apparently the message of my business analysis blog posts has been lost on some. The reason why I feel comfortable posting business data is because it's simply impossible to step in and use that data. I know this through experience, having tried myself. Running a store is a knock down, drag out fight where every penny is hard earned. My blog is a chronicle of my singular experiences, not a road map.

Customers are created, not acquired. Sales of a game are only as good as its next event. Every customer is only as happy as their next experience. Every marketing dollar is an investment in the future, a tree of life that needs constant watering. It's high level strategy mixed with bathroom maintenance and voodoo accounting. It's earned daily, not acquired through research. It's often called a labor of love, because only love would keep you in such a shaky relationship.

You can't put it in a bottle, franchise it, dilute it, or steal it. There are no magic formulas. It's unique. It's yours. It's precisely what you make of it, effort and right thinking made physical. It's the personal satisfaction that makes it worthwhile, and when you feel satisfied, you realize there's always room for improvement.

6 comments:

  1. Personally I really enjoy your blog posts, although sometimes I wonder whether there is a subliminal message hidden in most of them that says “Spend more money Kevin.. you know you want too!” and it seems to be working! I have been a customer now for just six weeks and already earned my $20 discount on the paladin card and this weekend I pick up my pre-ordered “War of the Ring” book which will shortly be followed by an order for more miniatures to build up my Misty Mountains army. Of course I had to take emergency measures to make sure I don't get myself into trouble and do the only thing a responsible man can… and hide the receipts from the wife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you get your wife to allow you to buy lunch each day, take out $20 from the ATM each lunch hour for that, and then buy a lunch for under $10, you can support a nice gaming habit with the change.

    I'm not saying it's foolproof, but I've had several friends over the years who supported their purchase of games, minis, CCGs, etc. through this system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary - although many of my experiences are echoes of yours, many are also different. And while some stuff sells like gold for you up there, I don't know how they would have sold in my store in LA County. And visa versa of course. Even stores very close by sold totally different stuff. I'm still mad at your competitor for not being more of a Pandemic type (ie, if we don't all work together, we'll all lose).

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I understand it, the competitor's a Magic player. That seems to lend itself to a "There can be only one!" mentality.

    And I'm going to start stashing singles at the end of each week, I think. That will give me a slow buildup of spare cash down the back of the couch, and then I'll be able to drop it as "already sunk cost" on games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "If you get your wife to allow you to buy lunch each day, take out $20 from the ATM each lunch hour for that, and then buy a lunch for under $10, you can support a nice gaming habit with the change.

    I'm not saying it's foolproof, but I've had several friends over the years who supported their purchase of games, minis, CCGs, etc. through this system."

    Jesus. That's the tactic I used to buy Magic cards in middle school although I only had 5 dollars. I'm never going back to those grim days.

    Note to self: never merry.

    -Justin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your business blogs are the most interesting to me, and the only thing really that keeps me coming back here. Someday I'll use the accumulated wisdom of your posts to take over the world. But since my wisdom would be built on your singular experiences, my takeover may resemble some guy painting minis in a darkened room and slowly gaining weight. But don't be fooled, the world WILL be mine.

    ReplyDelete