Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Prime Directive

If there's nothing left to put together, it's time to start painting. I'm still waiting on the Apocalypse sentinels, the back-ordered boxes of troops, and the grenade launcher guys, but it doesn't mean I can't get started on what I've got.

I primed the armor black in preparation for the paint job below, Mars Pattern XXI, by Ethan Anderson:

I'll be trying out GW Foundation Paints. The base is supposed to be several coats of Scab Red, a standard GW paint, but I'm hoping a single coat of foundation Mechrite Red will accomplish the same task. I debated on using an airbrush, but I knew if I entertained that idea for too long, I would end up owning one. Could this project get any more expensive?

For masking the camo colors, I'm planning to use clay of some sort. I'm not sure what type of clay to use, but I like the idea. It seems like a great way to get a more organic pattern.



If I haven't stressed it enough already, I really need to find something that stimulates my imagination to embark on projects like this. My first miniatures gaming project was Warmachine, putting together a small Cryx army. I painted the warcaster and a minion or two and then lost interest. I was doing it to do it, and it didn't really interest me enough to spend hours of my own time. Now I prowl the store eying Leman Russ tanks and wondering who has a miter box I can use to make cool custom jobs.

2 comments:

  1. For masking the model for camo, look for a product called blu-tak. It's a reusable adhesive putty that can be found at Home Depot or Lowes. Though I think the one Lowes carries is actually yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, thanks!

    I've actually got a lot of blu-tac (the yellow kind) lying around from my recent D&D project.

    ReplyDelete