Thursday, July 13, 2017

Presentation Anxiety and GTS 2018 (Tradecraft)

I will be presenting my inventory management seminar again at the GAMA Trade Show, March 12th-16th in Reno. I really don't like talking in front of groups, another reason I've been hitting the YouTube hard with new videos. I'm not even comfortable with myself and a camera, so overcoming that anxiety is important for me and my future endeavors (I sound like a guidance counselor).

Funny story, I took my freshman speech class requirement as a senior in college. I had this absurd idea I could skip graduation requirements if I demonstrated I was well beyond the minimal requirement. Ha! I also turned in my MA thesis close to the deadline, in the last hours of the year, because I ignored the margin size requirements. I learned to follow directions by having it pounded into me.

So true story, I was also taking courses at an executive security school, namely bomb detection and identification. When it came time to do my freshman speech class presentation (as a senior), I chose bomb detection and identification as my topic. I went to the classroom thirty minutes before class and hid fake bombs throughout the room.

Then as I explained each type of explosive device, I went over to the hidden bomb and demonstrated a detonation, using a battery and flash cube element to simulate the explosion. There were motion sensitive bombs, time bombs, pipe bombs, you name it. It was a huge hit. This was 1991, so we were still a decade away from 9/11 and the social more against joking about explosives. I suppose the point of the story is find ways to personalize your presentation to take your focus off your anxiety and onto the topic at hand.

If you're planning to go to GAMA in Reno, now is the time to reserve your room. The block with the cheapest rooms is already full. Yesterday, when I reserved my room, I ended up in the next most expensive block. I've stayed at the Peppermill a couple times, on purpose even, and it's an excellent, smoke free hotel. It is away from Downtown Reno (a good and bad thing), so if you don't get a room at the Peppermill, you will be commuting to the show.




No comments:

Post a Comment