Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Global Market

I can thank the Australians and Canadians this month for buying up my overstock on Ebay. I would say about 80% of my auctions are now being shipped to these two countries. I'm actually learning about the problems and pitfalls of various international shipping options. Don't ship UPS because they have horrible broker fees in the receiving country that can cost more than shipping. The USPS, on the other hand, is loathe to pick up packages from the store. They'll send my regular carrier, who is as lazy as they come.

The global economy is not "de-linked" from the US quite yet, but Americans are actively slowing their spending while the rest of the world is only cautious. Combined with an abysmally weak dollar, and you see bidders on eBay spending more on shipping than the product, and not blinking an eye. I've had a number of $30 auctions this week with $30 in shipping to Australia. Not a problem mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment