Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Media

Besides business books and issues of the Economist (still a week behind because I haven't changed the address), most of my media attention goes towards DVD's. I've found that with a two-year old, I would rather watch TV episodes than movies. I don't like to be interrupted during movies and changing a diaper can be a real mood killer. TV on the other hand can be taken in 30-minute chunks, although I tend to binge watch 3-4 episodes at a time.

I'm attracted to doomed series', such as The Dresden Files which I finished watching tonight. I really like this series. Fred Hicks, one of the authors of the RPG Spirit of the Century, came for a visit on Friday and dropped off flyers for his Dresden Files RPG. I'm trying to talk our Spirit GM into transitioning into Dresden when it comes out.

I also recently finished Rome and Deadwood, both of which I love. Deadwood especially draws you in and speaks to you almost in another language (with many four-letter words). It's like being part of a secret club with special code words. Some great Deadwood quotes:
  • Tom Nuttall: My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb. Those that doubt me... suck cock by choice.
  • Cy Tolliver: Sayin' questions in that tone and pointin' your finger at me will get you told to fuck yourself.
  • Al Swearengen: Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

NBC has a pretty good series called 30 Rock. Alec Baldwin, who I don't normally like, is fantastic as an executive who screws up the creative process.

I've got the first disc of Supernatural queued up, but don't know much about it.

On my wish list I've got: The Wire, season 4 (due out in December); Battlestar Gallactica, season 3, and Heroes, season 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment