Monday, September 1, 2008

Smile

You're on camera. The new camera system went in today, in what I would almost call a carnival atmosphere at the store. Imagine a relay of people yelling "left! left!" across the store to poor Allen, perched on a ladder, while I watched the video screen in the office. It was fun and chaotic. I hope the other customers enjoyed it.

I'm still working on configuring the new CCTV system. It has one of those infuriating manuals, probably in Chinese originally, in which they tell you what something does, but not why. "Press the left button to enable high tolerance motion sensing camera recording." That's great, but why? What if I don't? 100 pages telling me what happens when I push buttons. Sigh. I need a kind of best practices manual. Something that says, "Welcome to your new security system. Here are your various options on how to set it up."

The networking section basically tells you how to set it up half way, the other half being your network firewall configuration, which they are absolutely not responsible for. Don't even ask, they say in the manual. It's odd because they go through great effort to configure a DNS forwarder for this purpose. What they need is a kind of LogMeIn clientless option. Anyway, I'll be starting the firewall part of the project tomorrow. This whole thing reminds me that my total and complete lack of patience with technology is a big reason why I left the IT field.


Forge World took 6 days to tell me my credit card information didn't go through. The only recourse is to re-submit the order. They've never directly communicated with me, despite my sending them various emails (usually to tell them their website order processing is down). I think the place is run by robots, resin servitors. Since I placed the order, I've thought of several more pressing projects, so I ditched the FW order today and bought another squad of Tallarns and a custom built standard bearer (Orr built it for me).

3 comments:

  1. Just have it work local, ignore the firewall, and logmein to a local machine and monitor it from there.

    The other involves setting up a dynamic dns service dyndns.org or similar and doing a few static nat mappings.

    The first is way easier.

    --Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, yes local should work with Logmein on the server.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This whole thing reminds me that my total and complete lack of patience with technology is a big reason why I left the IT field."
    Hmm, this sounds vaguely familiar...

    ReplyDelete