Saturday, March 21, 2009

Mumak Update 2

I'm feeling that I'm about done with this model. I would definitely paint the individual parts before putting it together next time. About next time: I think one of these is about enough, mostly because it was a pain to put together and paint but also because I've seen the game in play, and more than one is pushing it at a medium point value.





One thing I'm torn on is the base. There is a stupid level of detail on the base. Several horses, a few fallen riders, and a bunch of weapons. As you can see here, I've done a simple dry brush of all this stuff. It brings it out without taking away from the main model. It's also vastly easier to paint than going over all that stuff properly and then flocking the base. For now I'll go with this cheat, but I may paint and flock it later.


6 comments:

  1. There's a whole section on building and painting the Mumak in the hardback rules for the LotR Strategy Battle Game. They suggest keeping it in three separate parts while painting it.

    You might want to check it out before you assemble another if you do choose to do another.

    As for the base, being the inherently lazy painter that I am, I'd seriously consider using some sort of filler to just cover up all the detail and then flock it normally. I'd definitely do that on any additional ones if I ever did more than one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm thinking I'll need to either putty the thing or do the painting. I'm putting off the decision, but leaning towards putty. I hate half way solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you did paint the base, with all of the details, it would make a great job fantastic. I'd go for it. Couldn't be worse than painting SS camo on 15mm minis.

    -Josh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I'm planning to make a plain base for mine, and then paint up the scenic base to use as something else. The base is nicely done, with lots of dead riders of Rohan. But do you really want that base when you're fighting against Knights of Minas Tirith?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about the tusks? I don't think the Forces of Darkness would meticulously polish them...

    -Josh

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's definitely in the category of "It's done when I decide it's done." There are a lot of things I could do to spice it up, but I just don't have time.

    ReplyDelete